Re: CVS Update@oss.sgi.com: linux

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: CVS Update@oss.sgi.com: linux
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:35:19 +0200 (MET DST)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Modified files:
>       arch/mips      : config-shared.in defconfig defconfig-decstation
>                        defconfig-ip22 defconfig-nino defconfig-osprey
>                        defconfig-sb1250-swarm defconfig-sead
>       arch/mips64    : defconfig-ip22 defconfig-sb1250-swarm
>                        defconfig-sead
>
> Log message:
>       Make CONFIG_IDE selectable independant of the bus type.

 Hmm, what's the intent of the change?  IDE, or more properly ATA, was
originally an ISA-only device and is still only available as ISA-style
implementations, AFAIK.  I'd prefer it to be available only if any of
CONFIG_ISA, CONFIG_EISA, CONFIG_PCI (unsure about CONFIG_MCA) is set.

 That said, the place for such decisions seems to be inappropriate
currently.  It'd be much more elegant just to source all relevant drivers,
net, etc. Config.in scripts unconditionally and make global enable/disable
decisions at the top of the relevant script, like e.g.
drivers/message/i2o/Config.in already does.