Re: R4600SC Indy

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: R4600SC Indy
From: Robin Humble <rjh@cita.utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:06:42 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:19:59AM -0400, Robin Humble wrote:
>I have an R4600SC Indy and an R5000 Indy and the R4600SC hasn't worked
>with a kernel since around 2.4.17 13feb2002.

I apologise for the vagueness of my previous post.

To be precise, the changes that were checked in on 6-mar-2002 broke
R4600SC support. These changes were to arch/mips/mm/c-r4k.c (and its mips64
counterpart). The patch below (to 13-aug-02 linux_2_4 CVS) is simply a
reversal of the changes made on 6-mar-02 and makes my R4600SC Indy work
just fine.

I presume that these changes were made for a reason though, so reversing
them is presumably not a fix, just a dodgy workaround?? :-/

If there's anything I can do to help narrow the problem down further
and find a real fix then please let me know. eg. just applying these
saves/restore's to some of the function in c-r4k.c? Unfortunately I
have little mips architecture or assembly knowledge (and not heaps of
time) so can't really help except to try out things...

My R5000SC Indy works fine with unpatched current cvs.
Hope this is of some assistance.

cheers,
robin