Re: IPC syscall fixup (o32 conversion layer)

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: IPC syscall fixup (o32 conversion layer)
From: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 08:57:43 +0200
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
>
> > Here is a patch that fixes the ipc syscalls in the o32
> > wrapper/conversion routines.
> > Needed when running a 64-bit kernel on an o32 userland.
>
>  Hmm, this looks dubious:
>
> +#define AA(__x) ((unsigned long)((int)__x))
>
> You probably want either:
>
> ((unsigned long)((unsigned int)__x))
>
> or
>
> ((long)((int)__x)).
>
> Since you are using pointers, likely the latter.

A(__x) is returning a unsigned long, so I try to stick to that.
I need the (int) typecast to make sure things got sign extended.
So if you want to change it, please go for the latter ((long)(int)).
What about the rest of the patch ?

>  Sending patches within a mail's body would ease commenting them, BTW.  I
> had to copy and paste the line above manually -- with gpm it's not a big
> problem for a single line, but it gets tedious for larger chunks and gpm
> is not everywhere.

Ralf has asked me to send the patches as attachment, because I use Netscape
as my mailer.

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:carstenl@mips.com
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com