Re: [patch] linux: RFC: elf_check_arch() rework

To: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: RFC: elf_check_arch() rework
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:10:06 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Carsten Langgaard wrote:

> We at MIPS are in the process of making an ABI spec for all this, which
> is the intention that should be used by the tool-vendors.  So please
> don't change the ELF header defines.

 It'd be better the spec matched the real world...

> I don't see that is wrong with checking the ISA level, I rather have an
> error telling me that I can't execute a certain ISA level than
> eventually getting a reserved instruction or something worse like
> something unpredictable.

 Well, -ENOEXEC in not any more useful than SIGILL -- with the latter you
have at least an idea what happened.  The ISA check is not implemented for
any Linux port, so there no suitable hook in binfmt_*.c files.  You might
propose an implementation if that's particularly important for you.

> You are obviously right about the elf_check_arch in the 64-bit part of
> the kernel is broken.  It's probably just be copied from the 32-bit part
> without changes, like a lot of the code in the 64-bit kernel is.

 Possibly, but it still makes me wonder why it wasn't adjusted at the time
binfmt_elf32.c was created...

  Maciej