Re: _stext is ill-defined / SysRq-T broken

To: Johannes Stezenbach <js@convergence.de>
Subject: Re: _stext is ill-defined / SysRq-T broken
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:20:26 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> On most systems the .fill 0x400 is unnecessary  and wastes 1KB (more
> than the .text.init size of head.o). Wouldn't it be better to remove the
> .fill and require the LOADADDR in arch/mips/Makefile to be >= 0x80000400?

 It probably would, but I'm afraid we are bound by various firmware's
limitations.  Not all systems seem to be able to load a system executable
at an arbitrary address.  Anyone can comment?

 Anyway a linker script magic seems to be possible to achieve a similar
result without hurting systems that set LOADADDR above 0x800003ff.  I'll
look into it.