Re: [patch] linux: cpu_probe(): remove 32-bit CPU bits for MIPS64

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: cpu_probe(): remove 32-bit CPU bits for MIPS64
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:59:35 +0200
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 03:31:30PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > You've been a little bit too fast :) I've almost implemented my suggestion
> > of moving the probing code into cpu-probe.c.
>  What's the problem?  Now the branch and the trunk are in sync (I just did
> a `cp' from the trunk as the missing function was the only difference), so
> you may apply the same changes to both. :-)  Otherwise you'd have to deal
> with the difference.

No real toy, just a merge conflict.  Doing this cleanup I also noticed that
the 2.4 and 2.5 cpu probing code is out of sync, so I took care of that
as well.  Any future clean and fix should new be easier as the merge between
32-bit and 64-bit, 2.4 and 2.5 can simply be done using cp.  Modern
technology rules :)

> > >  That might be a good idea in principle, but it won't solve the problem
> > > anyway.  I'd like to see the code for 32-bit processors get annihilated by
> > > the compiler if built for mips64.  I'll look at it soon.  The MIPS32/64
> > > crap needs to be fixed here as well.
> >
> > If you find a nice way of implementing this I certainly won't object.
>  The MIPS32/64 fix is obvious; the 32-bit CPU is not so, but I have a sort
> of an idea.  I'd like to get rid of all ifdefs in the area.  Not a high
> priority, though, sorry.

I was refering to the less obvious part, obviously ;-)