Re: [patch] linux: cpu_probe(): remove 32-bit CPU bits for MIPS64

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: cpu_probe(): remove 32-bit CPU bits for MIPS64
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:31:30 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> You've been a little bit too fast :) I've almost implemented my suggestion
> of moving the probing code into cpu-probe.c.

 What's the problem?  Now the branch and the trunk are in sync (I just did
a `cp' from the trunk as the missing function was the only difference), so
you may apply the same changes to both. :-)  Otherwise you'd have to deal
with the difference.

> >  That might be a good idea in principle, but it won't solve the problem
> > anyway.  I'd like to see the code for 32-bit processors get annihilated by
> > the compiler if built for mips64.  I'll look at it soon.  The MIPS32/64
> > crap needs to be fixed here as well.
>
> If you find a nice way of implementing this I certainly won't object.

 The MIPS32/64 fix is obvious; the 32-bit CPU is not so, but I have a sort
of an idea.  I'd like to get rid of all ifdefs in the area.  Not a high
priority, though, sorry.