Re: [patch] linux: cpu_probe(): remove 32-bit CPU bits for MIPS64

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: cpu_probe(): remove 32-bit CPU bits for MIPS64
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:05:47 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> I intentionally have that 32-bit stuff in the 64-bit kernel so we can simply
> have share identical CPU probing code between the 32-bit and 64-bit kernels.
> This in anticipation of a further unification of the two ports which still
> duplicate plenty of code with just minor changes.

 I suspected a maintability reason.  Thus as a temporary fix I'm checking
in a version that provides the missing cpu_has_fpu() function (a copy
from the trunk).

> To make sharing easier I suggest to move all the CPU probing code into it's
> own file, probe.c or so?

 That might be a good idea in principle, but it won't solve the problem
anyway.  I'd like to see the code for 32-bit processors get annihilated by
the compiler if built for mips64.  I'll look at it soon.  The MIPS32/64
crap needs to be fixed here as well.