Re: [uHOWTO] Booting a DECstation via MOP

To: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Subject: Re: [uHOWTO] Booting a DECstation via MOP
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:27:00 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> Instead of apt-get'ing a mopd, go to
> ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/mopd/ and download all of the files in
> this directory (this will be mopd-2.5.3 at this moment plus several
> patches. Extract the .tar.gz and apply all patches (you *may* need to
> fix some .rej's depending on the order you apply these patches).

 Thanks for appreciating my effort.  It's nice too see it's useful for the
others as well.

 For the right order of applying the patches see the README file there.
;-)  Also there are ready to use RPM packages nearby.

> At least on my Alpha, I had to add '-DNOAOUT' to the CFLAGS in
> ./mopd-2.5.3/Makefile to let it compile. For booting a Linux kernel,
> this is not a problem. Compile it, start it (I started it as './mopd
> -a'), place your ELF Linux kernel (this is what normally gets generated
> in ./linux/vmlinux) in /tftpboot/mop/ and be happy.

 Cross-platform a.out support is tricky.  I'll check what is wrong with
the Alpha; otherwise that's the correct workaround.

 BTW, you need not edit any Makefile to change CC, CFLAGS or LDFLAGS --
you may override them at the command line, e.g. `make "CFLAGS=-O2
-DNOAOUT"'.  I've taken specific care for this to work.

  Maciej