Re: PATCH: Always use ll/sc for mips

To: Ulrich Drepper <>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Always use ll/sc for mips
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:22:36 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: "H. J. Lu" <>,, GNU C Library <>
On 15 Jul 2002, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> > The ll/sc emulation is implemented in 2.4.0 and above. This patch makes
> > glibc always use ll/sc.
> Since I haven't seen any objections I've checked this patch in.

 [I must have missed the original mail, sorry.]

 It sucks performance-wise with no visible gain, so I don't think it is
really desireable.  Since the no-ll/sc case is handled correctly, I see no
reason to remove the code.  The kernel interface is awkward, I admit, but
it works (and is even handcoded in assembly for performance gain) and we
may able to develop a better one eventually.