Re: [2.4 PATCH] pcnet32.c - tx underflow error

To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [2.4 PATCH] pcnet32.c - tx underflow error
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:08:35 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, marcelo@conectiva.com.br
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Alan Cox wrote:

This patch fixes a tx underflow error for 79c973 chip. It essentially delay the transmission until the whole packet is received into the on-chip sdram.

The patch is already accepted by Marcelo for the 2.4 tree, I think.

Which slows the stuff down for people with real computers.

BTW, I have seen this problem on four boards (including Malta, two NEC boards and a Hitachi board). Not surprisingly the problem mostly happens when you connect to 100Mb/s network.

I even suspect this is the default setting on PCI cards on PC. Can someone verify? If that is the case, that will explain why driver never sets this bit. Maybe we don't have any "real computers" after all. :-)

Jun