Re: Patch for NEC VR5000 support (part 1 of several for lasat board supp

To: linux-mips <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Patch for NEC VR5000 support (part 1 of several for lasat board support)
From: Brian Murphy <brian@murphy.dk>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 22:43:12 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Ralf Baechle wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:29:29PM +0200, Brian Murphy wrote:
>
>>I have attached a patch which applies to the 2.4 branch and adds
>>support for the NEC VR5000. This would be a first step in
>>adding support for the Lasat architectures.
>>
>>A comment from someone with cvs commit access would be nice
>>this time.
>>

>As NEC's VR5000 is a plain normal R5000 why are you duplicating the
>processor support with slight variations?
>
>  Ralf

I believe the problem is in the (lack of) secondary cache support when
the R5000 target is selected in the standard kernel. I thought that making a seperate VR5000 cpu was then a safer option leaving the R5000
as it is and presumably working on the platforms it is used on. I have
no possibility of testing on those platforms to ensure any integration
is successful.

/Brian