Re: MIPS GOT overflow in gcc 3.2.

To: "H. J. Lu" <>
Subject: Re: MIPS GOT overflow in gcc 3.2.
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:58:03 -0400
Cc: Greg Lindahl <>,
On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:55:25AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:48:43AM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> > > AFAIK it happens to mozilla as well.
> >
> > On AlphaLinux, we eventually acquired multigot. Many large apps were
> > tripping on this problem; many big C++ programs essentially use
> > whole-program compilation, and many HPC codes link a bazillion large
> > libraries. I don't understand if -fpic or -fPIC are as good of a
> > solution as multigot.
> FYI, it is -Wa,-xgot, not -fPIC. multigot may be better. But it is not
> supported on mips. Until someone adds it, it is not an option.

No, it's the difference between -fpic and -fPIC.  Also not yet
implemented.  I intend to implement multigot in a couple of months if
no one else bothers to first.

You can not link modules with different GOT models together last I
checked, HJ.  That means that if any static code from libgcc is used in
libjava you'll lose badly with -Wa,-xgot.  Ditto libc_nonshared.a.