Re: Debugging using GDB and gdbserver

To: Justin Wojdacki <justin.wojdacki@analog.com>
Subject: Re: Debugging using GDB and gdbserver
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <dmj+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:26:45 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 03:16:05PM -0700, Justin Wojdacki wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >
> > Software breakpoints have worked at least as far back as 2.4.2.  This
> > most likely means that the exception handling for your board is broken.
> >

> Sorry, originally misinterpretted your use of "board" as referring to
> the board itself, and perhaps PMON (I've found a number of references
> online to GDB talking to PMON, but not much else).
>
> So what I've found by looking at other board-specific code revolves
> around GDB talking to an in-kernel stub via the serial port. As the
> board I'm working with has an unreliable serial port (and some
> incarnations don't even have that), what about ethernet-based
> debugging? Is that do-able, say via putDebugChar() (although I suspect
> this poses an initialization problem)?
>
> Thanks for the info so far.

Wait, wait.  What are you trying to do?  Originally you were talking
about userspace debugging via gdbserver.  Now you're talking about
kernel debugging via kgdb.  They're separate (and coexisting can cause
problems if you are not careful with your exception handlers; I do not
remember when my patches to make that work went into the tree, or if
someone else did it).

gdbserver can just use TCP.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
MontaVista Software                         Carnegie Mellon University