Re: Debugging using GDB and gdbserver

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Subject: Re: Debugging using GDB and gdbserver
From: Justin Wojdacki <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:16:05 -0700
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> Software breakpoints have worked at least as far back as 2.4.2.  This
> most likely means that the exception handling for your board is broken.

Sorry, originally misinterpretted your use of "board" as referring to
the board itself, and perhaps PMON (I've found a number of references
online to GDB talking to PMON, but not much else).

So what I've found by looking at other board-specific code revolves
around GDB talking to an in-kernel stub via the serial port. As the
board I'm working with has an unreliable serial port (and some
incarnations don't even have that), what about ethernet-based
debugging? Is that do-able, say via putDebugChar() (although I suspect
this poses an initialization problem)?

Thanks for the info so far.

Justin Wojdacki         (408) 350-5032
Communications Processors Group -- Analog Devices