Re: NAPI for eepro100

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: NAPI for eepro100
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:17:58 -0400
Cc: fxzhang@ict.ac.cn, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, saw@saw.sw.com.sg, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, netdev@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
   From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>
   Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:00:00 -0400
for the 'mips' patch, it looks like the arch maintainer(s) need to fix the PCI DMA support...

No, it's worse than that.

See how non-consistent memory is used by the eepro100 driver
for descriptor bits?  The skb->tail bits?

That is very problematic.

Oh crap, you're right... eepro100 in general does funky stuff with the way packets are handled, mainly due to the need to issue commands to the NIC engine instead of the normal per-descriptor owner bit way of doing things.

Well, I accept patches to that clean eepro100 up... I'm not terribly motivated to clean it up myself, as we have e100 and an e100 maintainer we can beat on if such uglies arise :)

        Jeff