Re: [patch] linux: mb() and friends again

To: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: mb() and friends again
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:52:36 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Gleb O. Raiko wrote:

> In previous version of your patch there was the change in mm/c-r3k.c:
>
> static void r3k_dma_cache_wback_inv(unsigned long start, unsigned long
> size)
> {
> -       wbflush();
> +       iob();
>         r3k_flush_dcache_range(start, start + size);
> }
>
> Why did you drop it? It's definetely required.

 Nope, it wasn't dropped.  It's included in a different patch, namely
"patch-mips-2.4.18-20020412-wbflush-5".  The patch depends on the
"patch-mips-2.4.18-20020530-mb-wb-8" one, so I am not going to resubmit
the former one for discussion here until (unless) we decide on the latter
one.

> While you patch operates in unusual terms from hw point of view, it does
> right thins by stating that external wbs do differ from internal wb.

 What do you mean by "unusual terms"?  The names of the macros?  Well,
they are based on what's used for other platforms and if treated as
abstract names (as they should be) they actually reflect reality.

  Maciej