Re: 3 questions about linux-2.4.18 and R3000

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: 3 questions about linux-2.4.18 and R3000
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:34:06 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>, Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>, Alexandr Andreev <andreev@niisi.msk.ru>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  For MIPS64 they definitely do not work, OTOH, including the N32 ABI.
>
> Are they good enough to build 64-bit kernels?

 Not yet.  For N32 gas complains about 64-bit immediates and fails.  For
64 there are a few problems I'm currently resolving, but the kernel links.
As N32 is low priority for me, I'll get 64 fixed first, at least to the
point non-PIC static executables such as Linux work.  PIC and dynamic
linking are next on my to-do list.

 I'm working on 2.12.90, though, as the MIPS/ELF backend was positively
but extensively restructured, so the ultimate target is 2.13.  For plain
MIPS 2.12.90 seem OK.