Re: 3 questions about linux-2.4.18 and R3000

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: 3 questions about linux-2.4.18 and R3000
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:30:09 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>, Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>, Alexandr Andreev <andreev@niisi.msk.ru>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Some gcc 3.0 versions definately misscompiles the kernel; anyway 3.0 enjoys
> a bad reputation for bugginess and being slow at generating slow code
> beyond just the MIPS port, so why both with 3.0.  2.95.4 seems quite
> reliable.

 As gcc 3.1 is out, it may be worth checking.  I actually plan to do that
in not so distant future.

> The issues with newer toolchains have been discussed at various times on
> the list; at this time I don't have a tested toolchain that is usable for
> all configurations of the kernel.  Also note that my recommendation of
> binutils 2.9.5 is only for the kernel.
>
> Anyway, binutils 2.12 is looking promising so far ...

 Well, 2.12.1 seem rock solid for me.  The package I made available at my
site only contains two patches that affect code (the rest is autoconf and
similar stuff) and then only MIPS64.  They can be safely discarded for
pure MIPS work.

 For MIPS64 they definitely do not work, OTOH, including the N32 ABI.