Re: __flush_cache_all() miscellany

To: Justin Carlson <>
Subject: Re: __flush_cache_all() miscellany
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:24:37 -0700
Cc: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>,,
Justin Carlson wrote:

I'm still looking for a reason for the existence of __flush_cache_all().

It is needed by kgdb where gdb client may modify several instructions before a 'c' command is issued. In that case, you cannot use flush_icache_range because you don't know the range. It is probably not safe either as the data cache may not be written back yet

Does flush_icache_range() mandates write-back of dcache in the same range? If it does, you might be able to get away with flush_icache_range(ICACHE_BEGIN, ICACHE_END).

Like someone else has pointed out, __flush_cache_all() is introduced to ensure i-cache/d-cache consistency. I remember it was shortly introduced after we had the first cache-coherent system where flush_cache_all() is a null function.