Re: PCI Graphics/Video Card for Malta Board?

To: "Jun Sun" <>, "Geert Uytterhoeven" <>
Subject: Re: PCI Graphics/Video Card for Malta Board?
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 19:43:55 +0200
Cc: "Steven J. Hill" <>, "Linux/MIPS Development" <>
From: "Jun Sun" <>
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> >>I can think of two things. First, a lot of graphics cards
> >>rely on BIOS calls to be set up before the operating system
> >>even boots. Second, I would stick to graphics cards that
> >>have framebuffer support in the kernel as you stand at least
> >>half a chance that those cards don't rely so heavily on a
> >>peecee bios. Just my $.02.
> >>

> > Even then, most frame buffer device drivers rely on the firmware (PC BIOS or
> > SPARC/PPC Open Firmware) having set up the video card.
> >
> > One of the exceptions is matroxfb,
> Steve Longerbeam has a fb driver with BIOS init for ATI Xpert98 card, which
> you can still buy.

Yeah, but it's a pretty wimpy card (8MB) and has no TV output.
> Dan Malek also wrote a driver for MQ200.

Which is essentially a handheld/webphone graphics chip,
for which the documentation is only available under NDA.
Not terribly useful for me, thanks.

> If you ask  around, I am sure you can the patch somewhere.

I *am* asking around - that's why I started this thread.

> For a while, I also had 3dfx voodoo3 working.  Not sure about its status now.
>   You can find the patch at

3dfx, in case you hadn't heard, folded some time ago.

So it sounds like the Matrox G450 PCI is really the only
game in town...

            Kevin K.