Re: 3 questions about linux-2.4.18 and R3000

To: Alexandr Andreev <andreev@niisi.msk.ru>
Subject: Re: 3 questions about linux-2.4.18 and R3000
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:15:55 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Alexandr Andreev wrote:

Jun Sun wrote:

I took a look of the arch_get_unmapped_area(),  and it looks fine to me.

Can you try the following changes and let me know what happens?

1) change COLOUR_ALIGN
#define COLOUR_ALIGN(addr,pgoff)     addr

OK, It works for me.

That indicate the logic of function works.

So the problems might lie on something else:

1) some caller pass in non-zero addr but does not check the return addr and assume the addr remains the same.

2) given the reported toolchain, I will double-check to see if COLOUR_ALIGN() is compiled correctly. It is mildly complex.

I would be also interested to know if removing filp condition would solve your problem. Nobody has explained why this condition is needed for doing COLOUR_ALIGN().

We have been using gcc 2.9.5 and binutils 2.10.x for R3000 CPUs for quite a while with no problems. It seems newer gcc and binutiles are fine too.

I understand, but is there any __official__ recommended versions of these
utils? http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html is out-of-date :(

Who are the "officiers" to decide on __official__ versions? :-) If you are really uncomfortable with non-official stuff, you might want to consider paying some vendor and I am sure you will be given an "official" version.

Jun