Re: PCI Graphics/Video Card for Malta Board?

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Subject: Re: PCI Graphics/Video Card for Malta Board?
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:58:19 -0700
Cc: "Steven J. Hill" <sjhill@realitydiluted.com>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Steven J. Hill wrote:

Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

I'd like to get a video-capable graphics card up
and running on a MIPS Malta board (therefore
PCI), ideally something mainstream like ATI.
Does anyone on the list have any positive or
negative recommendations in terms of cards
and particularly in terms of the degree to which
the drivers (and PCI set-up) have been ported
to MIPS/Linux?  I'll do what I must, but I hate
re-inventing the wheel.

I can think of two things. First, a lot of graphics cards
rely on BIOS calls to be set up before the operating system
even boots. Second, I would stick to graphics cards that
have framebuffer support in the kernel as you stand at least
half a chance that those cards don't rely so heavily on a
peecee bios. Just my $.02.

Even then, most frame buffer device drivers rely on the firmware (PC BIOS or
SPARC/PPC Open Firmware) having set up the video card.

One of the exceptions is matroxfb,

Steve Longerbeam has a fb driver with BIOS init for ATI Xpert98 card, which you can still buy. Dan Malek also wrote a driver for MQ200. If you ask around, I am sure you can the patch somewhere.

For a while, I also had 3dfx voodoo3 working. Not sure about its status now. You can find the patch at http://www.medex.hu/~danthe/tdfx/.

Jun