Re: PCI Graphics/Video Card for Malta Board?

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: PCI Graphics/Video Card for Malta Board?
From: "Steven J. Hill" <sjhill@realitydiluted.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 08:25:46 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

I'd like to get a video-capable graphics card up
and running on a MIPS Malta board (therefore
PCI), ideally something mainstream like ATI.
Does anyone on the list have any positive or
negative recommendations in terms of cards
and particularly in terms of the degree to which
the drivers (and PCI set-up) have been ported
to MIPS/Linux?  I'll do what I must, but I hate
re-inventing the wheel.

I can think of two things. First, a lot of graphics cards
rely on BIOS calls to be set up before the operating system
even boots. Second, I would stick to graphics cards that
have framebuffer support in the kernel as you stand at least
half a chance that those cards don't rely so heavily on a
peecee bios. Just my $.02.

-Steve