Re: MIPS 64?

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS 64?
From: Matthew Dharm <mdharm@momenco.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 23:05:52 -0700
Cc: Linux-MIPS <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:23:37PM -0700, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 02:34:47PM -0700, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > What does it take to do a 64-bit port?  The first problem I see is the
> > boot loader -- do I have to be in 64-bit mode when the kernel starts,
> > or can I start in 32-bit mode and then transfer to 64-bit mode?
>
> Same loader as before - the build procedure will result in a 32-bit kernel
> binary which is loaded to the same old KSEG0 addresses.

Call me a bit slow, but...

Are you saying that my 32-bit loader (which is designed to load a 32-bit
ELF file) will do exactly that... but this 32-bit ELF file has the magic in
it to switch to 64-bit internally?

Nice... Very nice.  I'm used to slick Open Source solutions, but I have to
admit that this is a pretty elegant one that solves a great many
problems...

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Work: mdharm@momenco.com
Senior Software Designer, Momentum Computer