Re: Mangled struct hd_driveid with MIPSEB.

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Subject: Re: Mangled struct hd_driveid with MIPSEB.
From: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:06:37 +0200
Cc: Ken Aaker <kenaaker@silverbacksystems.com>, Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
> > I send Ralf a fix a couple of weeks ago, which introduced the byteswapping,
> > which really is necessary.
> > This fix is probably only necessary for bigendian systems with large IDE
> > disks (>8GB), which support LBA mode.
> > I send this patch over a year ago. I discovered that when I ran on a disk,
> > which was larger than 8GB, it was only treated as 8GB.
> > The problem with the fix is, it is not backward compatible. After the fix
> > I needed to reinstall my bigendian system.
> > As I told Ralf, this fix will be a pain for everyone, but I guess we need
> > the fix eventually.
>
> Why would you have to reinstall the system?
> Isn't this just a problem with ide_fix_driveid() (new field for disks larger
> than 8 GiB, which we don't byteswap yet)?

I'm trying to do things like other bigendian architectures. I can see your mail
address is linux-m68k and the fix is more or less stolen from the m68k part.

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:carstenl@mips.com
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com