Re: copy_mount_options

To: Rick Spanbauer <rick@sirius.cvnet.com>
Subject: Re: copy_mount_options
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 14:32:26 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Rick Spanbauer wrote:

Howdy - I am having a bit of a problem with a kernel port I've been working
on recently.  Linux is up and running to the initial sh prompt,
networking/ethernet
works, and so on.  When I try a mount(), I am getting a kernel page fault.
Between
a few hours worth of debugging and some Googling around, I believe I understand
what is happening, ie when copy_mount_option is copying in from user space, it
seems to be running off the end of the data segment (code was apparently
written with
the assumption that this is legal).  I can think of several different
solutions, but
the question is this - is there some common, accepted practice solution to
this particular problem?  From searching the discussion groups, this class of
problem
seems to be a known issue, but the arguments pro/con about what to do about
it never seem to converge :)  So before tracking off into the wilderness
on my own, I thought I might ask!  Tnx Rick Spanbauer

Congradulations! You must have checked out the kernel from OSS CVS tree sometime in the past a couple of days. There is a small time window when Ralf checked in the "correct epc for delay slot" fix with a typo and later got fixed again. And coyp_mount_option() kernel fault was the symptom of the typo.

Get the latest code and give it a try.

Jun