copy_mount_options

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: copy_mount_options
From: Rick Spanbauer <rick@sirius.cvnet.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 17:26:09 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Howdy - I am having a bit of a problem with a kernel port I've been working
on recently.  Linux is up and running to the initial sh prompt,
networking/ethernet
works, and so on.  When I try a mount(), I am getting a kernel page fault.
Between
a few hours worth of debugging and some Googling around, I believe I understand
what is happening, ie when copy_mount_option is copying in from user space, it
seems to be running off the end of the data segment (code was apparently
written with
the assumption that this is legal).  I can think of several different
solutions, but
the question is this - is there some common, accepted practice solution to
this particular problem?  From searching the discussion groups, this class of
problem
seems to be a known issue, but the arguments pro/con about what to do about
it never seem to converge :)  So before tracking off into the wilderness
on my own, I thought I might ask!  Tnx Rick Spanbauer