Re: Debugging of embedded target applications

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Subject: Re: Debugging of embedded target applications
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 11:16:22 -0700
Cc: Geoffrey Espin <>, "Siders, Keith" <>, "Linux-Mips (E-mail)" <>
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 07:25:23PM -0700, Geoffrey Espin wrote:

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:43:14PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

Does work it for kernel type debugging over *Ethernet*?
I see some docs saying "TCP/IP" connection... but does that
mean a special kind of network driver?  Or a gdbstub/agent
outside the kernel in a special monitor?

What do you mean by kernel type debugging?  It's not a kernel stub.  It
can debug user programs over TCP/IP or a serial line.

In traditional embedded RTOS land, "system-level debugging".
In the olden days one had to have BDM/JTAG hardware assist
to step thru truly arbitary bits of code, like interrupt handlers,

The original question was about using using a hardware debugger.
Clearly using gdb/gdbserver is for apps only, AFAIK.  Does one
bother with a h/w debugger for apps?  Using kgdb with some kind

Actually, yes, you can.  I believe at least the Abatron BDI can do
this.  Could be wrong, though.

I have used kgdb over JTAG.