Re: Debugging of embedded target applications

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Subject: Re: Debugging of embedded target applications
From: Geoffrey Espin <>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 19:25:23 -0700
Cc: "Siders, Keith" <>, "Linux-Mips (E-mail)" <>
On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:43:14PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > Does work it for kernel type debugging over *Ethernet*?
> > I see some docs saying "TCP/IP" connection... but does that
> > mean a special kind of network driver?  Or a gdbstub/agent
> > outside the kernel in a special monitor?
> What do you mean by kernel type debugging?  It's not a kernel stub.  It
> can debug user programs over TCP/IP or a serial line.

In traditional embedded RTOS land, "system-level debugging".
In the olden days one had to have BDM/JTAG hardware assist
to step thru truly arbitary bits of code, like interrupt handlers,

The original question was about using using a hardware debugger.
Clearly using gdb/gdbserver is for apps only, AFAIK.  Does one
bother with a h/w debugger for apps?  Using kgdb with some kind
of remote debug-agent would be a "system level debugger", a s/w
solution to a traditional hardware only debug aid.  At this time
kind of pointless, as its painful to setup and JTAG debuggers
are so cheap (for mainline CPUs).

Geoffrey Espin