Debugging of embedded target applications

To: "Linux-Mips (E-mail)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Debugging of embedded target applications
From: "Siders, Keith" <keith_siders@toshibatv.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:05:36 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I am using x86 Linux for host development to a MIPS Linux embedded target. I
finally have a hardware debugger for my target board that works, but I have
to get large application files downloaded in a timely fashion. The debugger
must download to the target via JTAG, therefore downloads have lots of bits
of overhead, i.e. downloads are slow. Is there anything like a gdb server
that can I run on the target to connect to a remote client via ethernet? I
don't really want to have to compile a complete gdb tool to run on my target
board to do this. I don't have the luxury of a lot of memory on this board,
and no swap space (flash-based system, no hdd). The real catch is I would
like to be able to resolve the symbols of the application so the debugger
can be used to set hardware breakpoints, and provide source-level debugging
of the application. Or am I going about this totally bassackwards?

Keith