howto pass ramdisk loaddress to kernel

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: howto pass ramdisk loaddress to kernel
From: Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 12:32:49 +0200
Cc: ralf@gnu.org
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi,
in order to get rid of some ip22 specific hacks in setup.c as well as
addinitrd/elf2ecoff I've written a small tool that links kernel+initrd
as type "binary" into the data segment of the bootloader. This file can
then be fetched by the prom via tftp(or from a CD or whatever). The
bootloader copies the kernel to its loaddress and puts the initrd just
after the kernel.
My question is now: how do i properly pass the initrd's memory address
to the kernel? Choices are:
1) on the commandline: rd_start=0x...
2) a bootparameter block like on i386 or sparc in head.S
3) rely on the kernel to identify if a radisk has
  been loaded by a magic number

I'd prefer (1) but it seems none of the other arches does this. Is there
a reason for that? If not could we just introduce a new kernel
commandline parameter rd_start which has a memory address as a
parameter. Ralf, would you let this into the kernel?
 -- Guido