Re: ps2 keyboard -- no key down events

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: ps2 keyboard -- no key down events
From: Michael Pruznick <michael_pruznick@mvista.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:04:04 -0600
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Michael Pruznick wrote:
>
> > I'm working on this mips board with a smsc 90e66 south bridge and
> > fdc37m812 super io.  I'm using the standard pc_keyb.c driver.  I only
> > see keyboard interrupts and KBD_STAT_OBF set in response to "key up"
> > events.  I never see them in response to "key down" events.  Thus, the
> > shell running on the vga console never gets my input (since it is the
> > "key down" events that pass the character typed to the shell).
> >
> > At this point, I'm thinking that the standard driver needs some mods
> > to work with the super io's ps2 controller.  The smsc doc only covers
> > programming the plug and play registers and doesn't give any info about
> > programming the ps2 controller.
>
>  An 8042-compatible microcontroller (actually the firmware it runs) may
> need to be programmed to a PC/AT-compatible mode.  On an i386 it is
> typically done by the BIOS.  Try dumping configuration data from your chip
> and compare it with what is set up in an i386 system.  You can dump 32
> bytes of configuration data with the 0x20 command of the 8042 (5 low-order
> bits of a command byte specify an address).  Writing can be performed
> using the 0x60 command (the same semantics).
>
>  Some data is available in the Ralf Brown's interrupt list (look for
> "inter60*.zip" files on a SimTel DOS collection's mirror).  I have an old
> Intel hardcopy document somewhere that describes to some extent the
> IBM-defined locations of the configuration data -- I may try to dig it out
> and see if I could help you.  Anyway, you should probably contact the
> chip's manufacturer.
Thanks, that seams to be the issue or at least part of it.  I dumped
offset 0x20-0x3f on several systems.  All gave different results.
Some helped, some did not.  In the case of the ones that helped, all
the keys I tried (alpha,num,symbol) worked, until I pressed a shift,
control, or alt key, in which case the keyboard was stuck sending
the shifted value of all keys.  I sent a message to the chip
manufacturer, waiting for their response.  In all cases, the mouse
doesn't work and enabling the mouse via "gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/mouse"
or "od -tx1 -w1 /dev/mouse" causes the keyboard to stop sending
scancodes (on key up or key down).

--
Michael Pruznick, michael_pruznick@mvista.com, www.mvista.com
MontaVista Software, 1237 East Arques Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085