Re: vga initialization

To: Jim Paris <jim@jtan.com>
Subject: Re: vga initialization
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:10:53 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: James Simmons <jsimmons@transvirtual.com>, Zhang Fuxin <fxzhang@ict.ac.cn>, "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Jim Paris wrote:
> > Yipes!!! It has been discussed before and no x86 emulator will go into the
> > kernel. Now what I really love to ses is a way to trace threw the bios
> > code so we can write video drivers that don't need the BIOS to work.
>
> If you mean "trace through" as in automatically, well, that's an x86
> emulator. :) If you mean manually, there's a problem, because every
> card is going to be entirely different.

I think he means a BIOS `compiler' instead of an `interpreter' or `emulator'.
I.e. something that generates C code which can be compiled and used to
initialize the card later, without caring about the BIOS.

Some caveats:
  - BIOS code frequently uses the timers found in a typical PC-architecture box
  - The BIOS code copyright holder may consider this as a `translation' of
    his work, i.e. copyright infringement.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds