Re: Updates for RedHat 7.1/mips

To: Geoffrey Espin <espin@idiom.com>
Subject: Re: Updates for RedHat 7.1/mips
From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:01:56 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 01:53:39PM -0700, Geoffrey Espin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 03:59:25PM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> > I updated glibc, python, gcc, gdb, rpm, openssl, binutils and toolchain at
> > ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/
> > Let know know if there are any problems.
>
> I've been using your old October toolchain-20011020-* quite happily.
> So foolishly, I upgraded to this new toolchain*rpm for mipsel on i386.
>
> When building a linux-mips.sourceforge.net -based kernel, if I
> include CONFIG_PCI in the configuration, I get:
>
> drivers/char/char.o(.data+0x3990): undefined reference to `local symbols in
> discarded section .text.exit'
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

That is a kernel bug which has been fixed in the newer kernel. From my
binutils release note:

Changes from binutils 2.11.92.0.10:

1. Update from binutils 2001 1121.
2. Fix a linker symbol version bug for common symbols.
3. Update handling relocations against the discarded sections. You may
need to apply the kernel patch enclosed here to your kernel source. If
you still see things like

drivers/char/char.o(.data+0x46b4): undefined reference to `local symbols in
discarded
 section .text.exit'

in the final kernel link, that means you have compiled a driver into
the kernel which has a reference to the symbol in a discarded section.
Kernel 2.4.17 or above should work fine.

H.J.