Re: Can modules be stripped?

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: Can modules be stripped?
From: Keith Owens <kaos@sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 00:50:00 +1000
Cc: "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:21:10 +0200 (MET DST),
"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl> wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Keith Owens wrote:
>
>> The rules for stripping a module are "unusual".  Some symbols have to
>> be kept even if they are static, because even static symbols can be
>> exported.  The combination of strip -g to remove all debugging data
>
> Hmm, that looks weird to me.  If exporting static symbols is permitted,
>shouldn't the symbols be marked global by EXPORT_SYMBOL() then?

Exporting static symbols has always been allowed.  Exported symbols are
the module equivalent of lazy binding, which is logically no different
from passing the address of a static symbol via a structure to a
registration function.  In either case the static symbol can be
accessed from outside the object, without being marked as global.