Re: Can modules be stripped?

To: Keith Owens <>
Subject: Re: Can modules be stripped?
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:21:10 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <>
On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Keith Owens wrote:

> The rules for stripping a module are "unusual".  Some symbols have to
> be kept even if they are static, because even static symbols can be
> exported.  The combination of strip -g to remove all debugging data

 Hmm, that looks weird to me.  If exporting static symbols is permitted,
shouldn't the symbols be marked global by EXPORT_SYMBOL() then?

 The following code seems to mark a static symbol global just fine:

static int test = 0; asm(".global test");

so there should be no problem with doing the same in EXPORT_SYMBOL().