Re: Can modules be stripped?

To: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>
Subject: Re: Can modules be stripped?
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:05:43 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:

> OK, you can't strip kernel modules (news to me, then again how often do I
> use modules?), but it can't be because they "are relocatables".  I routinely
> strip libraries without problem, and those are relocatables too.

 What kind of libraries?  Shared libraries are shared objects and not
relocatables.  Static libraries ("ar" archives), OTOH, are sets of
relocatables as is e.g. /usr/lib/crt1.o and any assembler output.  The
rule is a relocatable is any object that has unresolved static
relocations, i.e. has not undergone final linking.  If unsure check with
file(1).