Re: [patch] linux: New style IRQs for DECstation

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: New style IRQs for DECstation
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:36:20 -0700
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>,,
Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

I can't see a reason why to handle this option in
system-specific code.

How about "there will be likely no such CPUs/systems in the future"?

Your patch will force every new CPU to add FPUEX option to the cpu_option, where apparently no place really need to use it.

Leaving FPU exception enabled for a CPU that does not generate FPU exception is acceptable. (because it does *not* generate FPU exceptions). And hooking up/dispatching the FPU exception interrupt is system-specific already anyway.

It, however, makes sense to provide a common wrapper code for fpu interrupt to jump to fpu exception handling code.

Over-abstraction can make the picture cloudy rather than clear.  My 2 cents.