Re: Documentation

To: "Gopakumar.C.E" <gopkumar@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Documentation
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:42:00 -0800
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:02:03PM +0530, Gopakumar.C.E wrote:

> Is there any good documentation on how the Linux/Unix code is designed for
> the MIPS processors ? (like how they handle paging, protection etc?)

The whole VM code is largely generic code sprinkled with a few architecture
specific bits all over include/asm-mips and arch/mips.  The MIPS specific
bits primarily deal with very low level details of memory managment (TLB,
caches) which the actual paging stuff is in the mm/ directory.

I've not document the MIPS-specific parts of memory managment very well
(standard reason - so much work to do, so little time to do it ...) so
feel free to ask me.  The generic Linux memory managment is fairly well
documented in various online resources or a variety of technical books
from your favorite CS bookstore ...