Parallel Port support on Indy?

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Parallel Port support on Indy?
From: blaine <lattice@altern.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:56:54 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi there;

  I've recently acquired an Indy, and I'd like to use it as my closet
firewall/webserver/printer box. I've been able to install debian/woody
without event, and the linux_2_4 tag from sgi's cvs compiles fine,
giving me OSS sound support with the HAL2 and enabling the Vino video
system. X came working out of the box...

The only thing I *can't* do with the Indy is use the parallel port,
which, in my case, is the most important thing... As far as I can tell
from reading around, the Indy supports a standard SPP parallel port
(plus a bunch of extra modes that haven't been implemented in linux,
afaict), but has a different base i/o address in addition to having the
data and control addresses at different offsets. I tried playing around
with the constants in [header file that controls that stuff in
include/linux], and managed to get the parport_pc module to stop causing
a [non-fatal] kernel oops. Now it just says something is wrong. ;-)

I would like to pursue fixing this, but being a student and not having
any experience playing with low-level hardware or kernel hacking are
conspiring against me. Is getting parport support on the Indy a major
undertaking, or are there just a few tweaks that need to be made to
existing drivers?

Any help on this would be most appreciated.
Thanks,

blaine cook.

    ( o> - INDEED.                     .o.
___`\V_/__http://www.yellow5.com/pokey/__/____