Re: [patch] linux: declance multicast filter fixes

To: Dave Airlie <airlied@csn.ul.ie>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: declance multicast filter fixes
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:40:09 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Dave Airlie wrote:

> well it should work for the PMAD and I've got a version for the VAX that
> splits off from my one, the VAX uses a similiar wiring as the DS5000/200,
> I've been waiting for the LANCE core to be separated out a lot of people
> have talked about it and I hear for 2.5 maybe someone is actually going to
> do it ...

 Well, the core seems to be already separated -- see drivers/net/7990.c.
I haven't yet checked how suitable it is and many front-end drivers use it
already.

 For the I/O ASIC front-end I'm going to check if the ASIC is capable of
mapping the LANCE more sensibly before starting any further work.  The
current configuration is a major loss, doubling the CPU's work and I can't
see any reasonable explanation for such a setup.