RE: Does e2fsprogs-1.26 work on mips?

To: "'H . J . Lu'" <hjl@lucon.org>, Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au>
Subject: RE: Does e2fsprogs-1.26 work on mips?
From: Peter Hartley <PDHartley@sonicblue.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 02:52:24 -0800
Cc: tytso@thunk.org, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, linux kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
H J Lu wrote:
> I look at the glibc code. It uses a constant RLIM_INFINITY for a given
> arch. The user always passes (~0UL) to glibc on x86. glibc will check
> if the kernel supports the new getrlimit at the run time. If it
> doesn't, glibc will adjust the RLIM_INFINITY for setrlimit. I
> don't see
> how glibc 2.2.5 compiled under kernel 2.2 will fail under 2.4 due to
> this unless glibc is misconfigureed or miscompiled.

It's not a question of which kernel glibc is compiled under, it's a question
of which version of the kernel headers (/usr/include/{linux,asm}) glibc is
compiled against.

A glibc, even the newest glibc, *compiled against 2.2 headers* cannot know
about the new getrlimit, so the run-time test cannot be compiled and is not
used. Such a glibc subsequently breaks fsck if run under a 2.4 kernel.

Recompile your glibc against 2.4 headers and you should get a glibc and fsck
that work if run under either a 2.2 or 2.4 kernel.

The necessary kernel patch to fix this mess is in the latest -pre-ac (thanks
Alan).

        Peter