RTC setup

Subject: RTC setup
From: Lanny DeVaney <>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:33:45 -0600
I'm having trouble figuring out how to setup the RTC for my Linux port. My board has a Dallas DS1501WE chip, and I can't figure out the rhyme or reason for the addr values passed to my rtc_write_data callback from the kernel. I know my RTC base address, and can in fact go in and look and see the date/time values at that location.

It appears for the mips boards that have rtc support in the kernel (some do not), the actual code inside these callbacks differs, but I noted that the DEC references a Dallas chip, others appear to use other rtc chips.

I would have assumed that the addr value passed to my rtc_write_data callback would have been sequential in nature and I would simply return the value at the (rtc_base_addr + offset passed in as addr), but the addr values I see coming in are really sporadic. Can anybody offer any suggestions, or does anybody know what the addr values pased into the callback refer to?

Lanny DeVaney
Red Hat, Inc.