Re: pci-pcmcia bridges/adapters

To: sjhill@cotw.com
Subject: Re: pci-pcmcia bridges/adapters
From: Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:21:29 -0500
Cc: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>, linux-mips <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Steven J. Hill wrote:

....of my wireless cards and the driver never worked, so my
experience has not been good.

I have been working with quite a few wireless cards in embedded
systems and have discovered they are quite sensitive to reset
after power up.  The power-on, reset, first access to the card
seems to have some timing considerations that some socket drivers
can handle better than others.  Before you assume the bridge and
its related software are at fault, try a variety of cards not
sensitive to this, like a CF in a PCMCIA adapter.  I got burned
by this again yesterday :-).

        -- Dan