Re: Fw: hello

To: David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: hello
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:39:27 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 02:55:22PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:

> Which Linux distribution does MIPS use?  Since I'm going to be working
> on an Atlas board using software from MIPS, I would like to match things
> up exactly.

Several different - there is a Debian port (big and little endian),
H.J. Lu's RedHat mini-port (big endian AFAIK), Karel van Houten's
RedHat-based rootfs (little endian), Keith M. Wesolwski's Simple
Linux (big-endian). I think the most complete of all is Debian.

> As an aside, is anybody using a VMware virtual machine for their
> development host?

Why should we? VMware emulates i386 on i386, so it would be of no
help for mips development.

> >> 3.  What is the preferred toolchain...

I always build natively:
gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)
GNU ld version 2.11.93.0.2 20020207 Debian/GNU Linux

> > Yep - The Debian autobuilder run native on little and big endian.
>
> Hmmm.  Do you mean GNU autoconf running natively on MIPS, or something
> running on a Debian x86 host, or something else?

The autobuilder is a system that checks for new Debian packages which
are not yet built for mips/mipsel and automatically builds and uploads
them into the Debian archive. It runs natively (in our case on a
Lasat Masquerade Pro for little endian and on an SGI Indigo2 for big
endian).

Regards,
Karsten
--