Re: hello

To: David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Subject: Re: hello
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:11:14 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 03:55:00PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> linux-mips@oss.sgi.com:
>
> Hello!  I have the opportunity to work on MIPS Linux using a MIPS Atlas
> (4Kc) board.
>
> 1.  Is there a reason why SourceForge isn't being used for the MIPS
>     Linux project?

The Linux-mips project is much older than sourceforge and looking at the
history of hyped venture capital companys does not really give a good
feeling about using sourceforge. Personally spoken i dont like
sourceforge - For most cases its just too bloated and working for ISPs
its not a problem to get some public accesible ftp/web/cvs space.

> 4.  Is MIPS Linux self-hosted?

Definitly

> 5.  Can you do native development on MIPS Linux?

Yep - The Debian autobuilder run native on little and big endian.

> 6.  Does MIPS Linux support sound (oss or alsa) on any platform?  Does
>     it support sound on MIPS Atlas?

Some rumors about Indy/Indigo2 HAL support have been heard.

The problem with some sourceforge trees and thesplit up information is
that like you already experienced is a real problem for Linux-mips
as there is no "source of the only wisdom". I dont like that
tree-forking etc. Either build your stuff clean - ready for inclusion -
or just drop the tree under the table as a big bad ugly hack.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium