Re: Toolchain question

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Subject: Re: Toolchain question
From: Johannes Stezenbach <js@convergence.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:02:28 +0100
Cc: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>, SGI MIPS list <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:47:13PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > I'm using binutils-2.12.90.0.1 and gcc-2.95.4-debian, which
> > was recommended here. Read the the thread on "gcc include strangeness"
> > around Feb. 11 for details.
>
> Are you compiling natively, or did you create a cross-compiler using the
> gcc-2.95.4-debian sources?
>
> In the latter case, I'm interested in the magic you used to build the
> cross-compiler, since I can't seem to build a cross-compiler for any arch
> using
> those sources (2.95.2 was fine).

I built a cross compiler. After 'apt-get source gcc-2.95' I did:
(The instructions in debian/README.cross did not work for me.)

- edit debian/rules.def so that
      TARGETS=mips
    (README.cross mentions you have to do this)
- run
  $ debian/rules patch
- now you have a patched source tree for mips in src-mips, which
  configures and builds fine.

HTH,
Johannes