Re: Toolchain question

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Subject: Re: Toolchain question
From: Johannes Stezenbach <>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:02:28 +0100
Cc: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>, SGI MIPS list <>
On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:47:13PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > I'm using binutils- and gcc-2.95.4-debian, which
> > was recommended here. Read the the thread on "gcc include strangeness"
> > around Feb. 11 for details.
> Are you compiling natively, or did you create a cross-compiler using the
> gcc-2.95.4-debian sources?
> In the latter case, I'm interested in the magic you used to build the
> cross-compiler, since I can't seem to build a cross-compiler for any arch
> using
> those sources (2.95.2 was fine).

I built a cross compiler. After 'apt-get source gcc-2.95' I did:
(The instructions in debian/README.cross did not work for me.)

- edit debian/rules.def so that
    (README.cross mentions you have to do this)
- run
  $ debian/rules patch
- now you have a patched source tree for mips in src-mips, which
  configures and builds fine.