Re: Toolchain question

To: Johannes Stezenbach <>
Subject: Re: Toolchain question
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:47:13 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>, SGI MIPS list <>
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 09:34:06PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > Which cross compiler and binutils are currently known to be good for
> > kernel compilation? I'm (for both LE and BE) currently still using
> > this gcc-3.0 snapshot from the simple/crossdev "package". It's a
> > bit old, but working quite good.
> >
> > What compiler/binutils are currently advisable? Current CVS from
> > binutils, current gcc 3.0 branch from CVS?
> I'm using binutils- and gcc-2.95.4-debian, which
> was recommended here. Read the the thread on "gcc include strangeness"
> around Feb. 11 for details.

Are you compiling natively, or did you create a cross-compiler using the
gcc-2.95.4-debian sources?

In the latter case, I'm interested in the magic you used to build the
cross-compiler, since I can't seem to build a cross-compiler for any arch using
those sources (2.95.2 was fine).

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds