Re: xfs

To: "Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@SunSITE.auc.dk>
Subject: Re: xfs
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: 08 Mar 2002 16:07:48 -0800
Cc: linux-mips <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 11:22, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

> Pete> I see on SGI's web site that XFS is supported only on x86 and
> Pete> IA64. Has anyone tried it on mips?
>
> We did some Linux/XFS testing on an Origin 2000 about a year ago.
> Don't think anyone has tried it since then.
>
> But it should Just Work<tm>.  Let us know if it doesn't.

I took 1.0.2 patch and applied it against the latest linux_2_4 oss
kernel. Actually, it's the latest oss plus additional patches I've sent
to Ralf, but I think those are stable.  The patch did not apply cleanly
but the problems were easy to fix.  I didn't port the additional x86
syscalls because they appear to be attribute/acl related only.

I cross compiled the kernel with 2.95.3 based tools (I know the older
toolchain is recommended but ...).  xfsprogs I compiled natively with
the same version tools.  The kernel boots and I was able to create an
XFS file system on one of the partitions.  Mounting works. Unmounting
consistently results in a crash, illegal access to location 0x00000018.
It's probably easy to fix since it's 100% reproducible.  Back to
mounting the fs -- I ran bonnie++ on it. It ran for quite a while until
it got to the "sequential" write test and then the kernel froze.

If I get to play with it some more, I'll send you any useful info I
might have.

Pete